The Center for the Study of Educational Policy
(CSEP) at Illinois State University is conducting a study to validate the Danielson Framework for Teaching in PreK-3rd
grade classrooms in Illinois. This study also explores the implementation of the Illinois teacher evaluation system in these early learning classrooms in terms of best practices in using the system to grow teachers’ practices.This study will take place in approximately seven selected districts and early childhood centers throughout Illinois (Northern, Central, Southern, and Chicago) in Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 with a sample of PreK-3 teachers and teacher evaluators (e.g., principals, master teachers, directors).
Conducting a validation study of the Framework has multiple purposes:
- To study whether the Danielson Framework is a valid and reliable tool for evaluating teachers in early learning classrooms.
- To study if the Framework and the teacher evaluation system provide accurate and reliable data that PreK-3 teachers and their supervisors can use to identify strengths and weaknesses, and how they use that data to identify appropriate professional development mechanisms to promote teachers’ growth.
- To develop training and resources that support early learning teachers and their supervisors in their use of the Framework and their local teacher evaluation system.
- To provide recommendations to the Illinois State Board of Education and other policymakers about best practices for effective and appropriate teacher evaluation for PreK-3 teachers.
This website contains information about the following:
- Project staff and partners
- The Danielson Framework with Early Learning Examples developed through this project, as well as through other districts and states
- Illinois Performance Evaluation system requirements for Illinois education agencies
- Early learning resources that support the use of the Danielson Framework and best practices in teacher evaluation
- The use of student assessments in PreK-3 teacher evaluation
- State of Illinois and other states early learning teacher evaluation policies
- Publications, presentations, and reports that staff members develop in regards to the findings from this study